Good evening St. John’s Community,
I am writing with a number of info and update items. We hope you are all safe and healthy at home and we hope you are taking advantage of this extra time to spend with family. We also hope that your children are taking full advantage of the learning opportunities that are being provided. The teachers and support staff are working very hard to provide the best programming possible under these circumstances.
- Families who received a loan of one of the school’s Chromebooks for distant led learning are reminded to make sure that the children are taking great care of these device. Families are responsible for the safe return of these devices when we get back to school. If you are having any trouble please communicate with your child’s teacher by email or through your class web page.
- Boundary Review – the final meeting for the discussion and decision on the St. John’s Boundary Review by the School Board Trustees is on Monday Evening; April 27th at 6:00 pm. The meeting will be streamed live on You tube and will be available to anyone who would like to tune in to the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0uh4N1Vn4c&feature=youtu.be (These meetings tend to be lengthy and many other topics are discussed; based on the placement of the Boundary Review on the agenda, discussion on the review will likely start between 6:30 and 7:00pm.)
- Please note that The Canadian Emergency Response Benefit is available for families who have lost their jobs due to COVID-19. You can apply for the $2000.00 assuming you meet a few basic criteria. Here is the link that includes all of the details: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue agency/services/benefits/apply-for-cerb-with-cra.html
- The next meeting of the St. John’s Catholic School Council is scheduled for Tuesday, April 28th at 6:30 p.m. As a result of the current State of Emergency resulting from the COVID-19 epidemic, this meeting will be held remotely on the Google Meet platform; all council members will be sent the link to the meeting on Tuesday.
- We are pleased to announce that His Eminence, Thomas Cardinal Collins will be celebrating the province-wide Catholic Education Week Mass scheduled for Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 10:00 a.m. EST. All students, families, staff and the broader Catholic community are invited to participate “virtually” in this celebration of the Eucharist by clicking on the link at the scheduled time: https://www.stmichaelscathedral.com/live
- At this time of the year we are looking ahead to next year for class creation and organization. If your family is moving out of our areas and your child(ren) will not be returning to St. John’s in the fall we would like to know as soon as possible. Please advise Mrs. Miller if your child(ren) will not be returning to St. John’s for the 2020-2021 school year. Her email address is email@example.com NOTE – this is independent of the boundary review. Once the decision is made about the boundaries for next year, everyone will be notified about the school that all of the children are to attend.
- Last weekend there was a very tragic incident in Nova Scotia; if your children have heard about it and have had concerns or are upset, the following chart may be helpful.
Take Care and Stay Safe!
Mr. Paul Gladding